Friday, May 4, 2007

The grapes are in!

3/24

Sorry no pictures with this post! Lost the digital camera on our trip to Mexico and just haven't had the time to get a new one - but I will soon. I hate recording these events without pictures!

I've had the six grapevines we bought in the laundry room, sticking out of a cardboard box for a week - everyday checking to make sure they were okay, giving them water in their plastic bag if needed and hoping we would get them in the ground before they died.

Well, yesterday we decided to suspend packing for one day and scoot up to Honey Grove to take all our yard stuff and get the grapes in - SUCCESS! It was a mild, beautiful day. Just a soft wind and kind of overcast, about 70 degrees. Gorgeous! So we packed the trailer with the grill, our Adirondack chairs, our birdbaths, the lion fountain and even the metal trout fish - all the yard art we love, and of course, the grapevines and headed north. The dogs were especially happy to romp around the property while we unloaded. We put most of the yard art up by the home site and we placed our two chairs where the house will be. We even put the chimenea there to lite when we are sitting there at sunset musing about the construction. :)

Then, we got busy on the grapevines. Skip put in the cedar support posts and we dug the holes for the vines. I soaked them in a bucket of water first to saturate the roots. Then in they went! I still haven't gotten the "grow tubes" to protect them from deer. So I'm hoping they won't discover the grapes until I can get them in on Monday. We will put in the large support posts on each end of the rows when we can sink them in cement on Monday. Then string wire at two levels across each row to support the growing vines. We have three varieties of grapes to try out, all seedless. More on that later.

We were tired when we finally left about 4 p.m. and always a little sad to leave. Soon we will be living there everyday! Can't wait. Now back to packing up - today we will be packing the rest of the furniture. Hope it all fits in the storage unit!

Vaya con Dios!

No comments: